ETCI  
ETCI
Electro Technical Council of Ireland

Electrical Safety

Safety Videos

ETCI Fatal Accident Database

ETCI Fatal Accident Statistics

Safety Committee

Accident Details

Accident ID:19
Circumstances:A young boy aged 2 1/2 lost his life when he inserted a nail into the socket of an extension lead that was plugged in to a wall socket in the garage at his home. It is not known yet if the socket was protected by an RCD.
Date: August 2000
Time:
Occupation:Dependent Minor
Gender:Male
Age Group:Under 12
Indoors/Outdoors:Indoors
Site:Household
Lighting:Unknown
Weather:Dry
Work Group:Alone
Supervision:Unsupervised
Safety Procedure:None
Voltage:LV (230 or 400 volts)
Location:Customer side
Equipment:Socket outlet
Defects:Part made live
Contact:Direct
How could this accident have been prevented?RCD. Awareness of Hazard
Comment:

Back to List of Accidents