ETCI  
ETCI
Electro Technical Council of Ireland

Electrical Safety

Safety Videos

ETCI Fatal Accident Database

ETCI Fatal Accident Statistics

Safety Committee

Accident Details

Accident ID:33
Circumstances:A woman was electrocuted while using an electric instant shower.
Date:23 January 1996
Time:
Occupation:Member of the public
Gender:Female
Age Group:Adult < 25
Indoors/Outdoors:Indoors
Site:Household
Lighting:Unknown
Weather:Unknown
Work Group:Alone
Supervision:Unsupervised
Safety Procedure:None
Voltage:LV (230 or 400 volts)
Location:Customer side
Equipment:Electric shower
Defects:Earthing ineffective
Contact:Indirect
How could this accident have been prevented?RCD
Comment:An examination of the electrical circuits in the house revealed a defective plug (fault between neutral and earth) supplying a multisocket adaptor in an adjacent room. The adaptor was in use. Earthing was defective leading to the shower and its metallic hose becoming live.

Back to List of Accidents